Morupule Coal Mine (MCM) is located on the outskirts of Palapye, Botswana, along the Serowe-Palapye road. MCM started production in 1973 as an Anglo American Corporation subsidiary with the main objective of to supplying coal to the then Bamangwato Concessions Limited mine (now BCL) and BPC power plant situated in Selebi Phikwe.
The history of coal discovery in Botswana dates back to the early 1930’s when a major coal seam was discovered through sinking of boreholes. In the course of dig ging boreholes, coal seams were found in the common coal bearing rocks in Africa through the Ecca series of the Karoo system. The Morupule area is underlain by Karoo sedimentary rocks which form the Eastern margin of the major Karoo basin developed to the West of Morupule. These sedimentary rocks consist of shales, coals, and sandstones of the middle and lower Ecca . According to the 2007 Survey of Energy Resources, Botswana has massive coal reserves in the eastern part of the country with 40 million tons of proven recoverable reserves. The untapped reserves are in the greater Morupule fields of eastern Botswana. The Anglo American Corporation (AAC) was given a mining lease in 1966, and developed a colliery at the Morupule coalfield, which opened in 1973 .
The corporation then began investigations on the quality and the availability of local and international markets. The AAC later pleaded with Botswana government to assist in finding markets for coal and also support generati on of electricity from coal. The Corporation advised the government to consider the cost of setting up a new colliery or importing coal from South Africa for electricity generation, or importing electricity from South Africa. Since the government of newly independent Botswana wanted to reduce its depen dence on South Africa and to establish its economic development it ended up setting up the Morupule Colliery mine.